Mike demonstrating Life Jackets (PFD’s) at last years class.
Registration for the 2013 Mountaineers Crew Class is now open. The class starts Tuesday April 2, 2013. The class will meet on four evenings with an additional at the dock session on a sailboat.
Successful completion of the class and the assigned crew tasks will qualify the student as part of the Mountaineers Sailing Crew qualifications, which will let you signup for Mountaineers sailing trips with Mountaineers skippers.
The class is designed for people that have never been on a sailboat before as well as a good review for those who have sailed in the past and want to brush up on their skills before getting back sailing.
Sailing Crew Class Resources – Spring 2012 – More resources for students and boaters, this was a list of resources put together for students last year, the information is still relevant for sailing students as well as experienced sailors.
Crew class students take time out to smile for the camera during a break. (Photo by Karen Tofte)
Members can sign up for the crewing course on The Mountaineers activity search page. Registration closes on Tue, Apr 3 at 5:00 PM.
LETS GO SAILING IN SEATTLE!
Completion of course puts you on the crew list for FREE Mountaineers sails!
The class starts April 05, 202 (Thu) and finishes May 03, 2012 (Thu)
After completion of the course, you should:
- Be able to rig a sloop-rigged sailboat.
- Be able to assist in departing from and arriving at a dock under power.
- Have a basic understanding of sail trim and sailboat maneuvering.
- Understand basic personal gear requirements and safety practices for sailing under conditions which may be encountered during Mountaineers sails.
- Be able to function as a crew member during a sail.
- Have a basic understanding of charts and navigation aids.
Course graduation requirements:
- Attendance at all four classroom sessions; Thursday April 5, 12, 26, and May 3 6:30-9:30 pm at the Seattle Mountaineers Clubhouse.
- Attendance at one On-the-Dock/ First Training Sail session during the week of April 19. There will be many to choose from.
- Attendance at two experience sails – dates to be determined after course starts.
Successful completion of the course will place you on the crew list, enabling you to sign up for Mountaineers sails and cruises.
For additional details contact Alan Vogt, Sailing Chairman.
How to find the Seattle Mountaineers Clubhouse, includes instructions, bus route information and maps.